- Handloom textile industry products
The key objective of maintaining this production centres is to provide theoretical knowledge as well as practical knowledge to lead a vocational living based on textile industry to make a better economic condition. Most of the employees serving in these centres are elderly women and illuminating their talents and presenting textile industry products filled with various creations is carried out by this Department.
Accordingly the number of textile production centres operating in the Western Province is 54.
Products manufactured under the category of handloom textile industry.
- Grey cloth
- Cushion material
- Wall hangers
- Cloth materials
- Dumbara material
- Pillow cases
- Table cloths
The Department of Industries of Western Province is committed to satisfy the native customer by the above products made by using natural cotton threads.
- Small industries
- Wood technology and light engineering products
These institutions which function as production centres related to wood and metal manufacture educational orders such as tables and chairs which are required for the use of the students of the schools of the province and Dhamma school equipment such as desks and benches which are required for the use of Dhamma school students and make a huge contribution for the revenue of the province.
Youths who do not refer for self-employments after the training refers to offer their service as craftsmen under the projects carried out in the centres of the Department.
Value of wood technology and metal related productions in the year 2016 is Rs. 33.0 million.
- Products related to leather industry
Number of leather product centres in 02. Production of artistic leather products and bags, shoes, ladies and gents wallets which used for day to day purposes is carried out by them.
- Ornamental china ware and red clay ware
This division is made with the objective of manufacturing various artistic china ware and red clay ware according to demands of the market while conserving the traditional craft. 04 clay production and training centres have been set up in the province and productions are carried out according to the needs of the area.
- Handcrafts division
- Providing market opportunities to sell products of the hand craftsmen.
- Function to sell the products of the craftsmen registered in the Department through craft lanka outlets.
- Holding exhibitions and competitions with a view to induce evaluate creations of hand craftsmen and induce for production of items with high quality.
- Conducting entrepreneurship and attitude development training programmes for the hand craftsmen.